Man arrested after he rams car into Australian Mosque gates while hurling abuse at worshippers

A 23-year-old man who rammed his car into the gates of an Australian Mosque while hurling insults at worshippers just a day after a gunman shot up a New Zealand mosque has been arrested, a police spokesman said.

Police said the incident happened outside the Baitul Masroor Mosque in Stockleigh, Queensland, at around 7pm on Saturday night.

Baitul Masroor Mosque had previously dealt with another ‘disturbing’ incident in 2017 when a severed pig’s head was left outside the property.

The driver is alleged to have rammed his car into the gates of the Mosque causing minor damage to the property as he ‘shouted offensive words’ through the window, before driving back home where he was arrested.

It is believed he was arrested five hours prior to the incident at around 2.20pm after he tested positive for a drugs test during a police stop.

He was issued with a 24hr driver’s license suspension and a notice to appear in court for one count of driving a vehicle whilst relevant drug is present.

After being released from the police station he took to the road again a drove to the Baitul Masroor Mosque where he rammed his vehicle through the gates of the Mosque before hurling abuse at worshippers.

He has now been charged with one count of wilful damage, commit public nuisance and driving a motor vehicle whilst suspended.

A police spokesman said: ‘Police have arrested a man after he drove his car into the gates of a place of worship at Stockleigh overnight’

“The man allegedly then drove his car along Neville Street and pulled into the driveway of the place of worship, where he has driven his car into the closed front gates causing minor damage to the gates”

The incident occurred just a day after a gunman shot up a New Zealand mosque in Christchurch killing at least 50 people.

A spokesman for the mosque, however, said the incident was ‘random’ and not connected to the massacre, the Courier-Mail reported.