Gay Sikh man forced to dress up as bride on wedding because in-laws didn’t want guests to know

A gay Sikh man has said he was forced to dress up as a bride on his wedding day because his in-laws didn’t want family members to know their son was gay.

Shockingly, Roy Singh from Manchester, was told by his in-laws to wear a wig and make-up so they could convince their local community that their son was not gay.

Mr Singh was also forced to keep up the pretence for months after the wedding.

The 29-year-old met his future husband when he was 18 and ended up moving to London to live in his family home.

There he was subjected to months of abuse at the hands of his British Sikh in-laws, which he claimed almost led him to kill himself, The Mirror reports.

Mr Singh claims on his wedding day his mother-in-law told guests that her ‘daughter-in-law’ was an orphaned widow and so had no family.

Mr Singh said: ‘She said if I wanted to marry him I would have to dress as a woman on the wedding day. I would also need to pretend to be a woman for a while to convince the community her son isn’t gay.’

He claims he almost fainted in front of the 450 guests out of fear of being found out.

After the wedding his in-laws told him he would be called ‘lucky’ and would have to dress in women’s clothing.

Mr Singh said: ‘My mum-in-law started calling me her daughter-in-law. There was a time when I came down in slippers, not really dressed. She said I needed to maintain myself at all times and never come down again like that.’

He also said he ended up losing weight after the wedding because he was treated like a slave in the home and was made to do 18 hours of chores a day.

Things got worse for Roy when his own parents found out his secret and disowned him when snaps of the wedding appeared on Facebook , exposing Roy as a bride.

Shockingly, his mother-in-law forced him to visit them dressed as a women to tell them what happened.

Mr Singh said: “She wanted to sit down with my family and tell them what had ­happened. They took it really badly and told me never to come home again.”

After nine months of torment, Mr Singh finally plucked up the courage to leave and ended up in a homeless shelter.

But just four months later he found out his husband was set to marry a woman and he once again tried to kill himself.

He said: ‘I put my wedding outfit back on and I went down to the river and slashed my wrists. I felt like they made me his wife so I was going to kill the wife.’

Luckily a passerby saved Mr Singh by dragging him from the water.

His family took him back home and supported him after they were called to the hospital.

Mr Singh now performs in a drag as Lucky in a bid to take back control of his identity but still has flashbacks of the abuse he endured during his nine months of marriage.

His ex, who has not been named, told The Mirror: ‘Me and my mum would like to apologise to Roy Lucky Singh.’